comune iat

   
Tel. +39 0144 322142
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Opening hours from 1 November to 31

March Monday to Saturday 9.30-12.30 and 15.30-18.30 afternoon consultation only

closed on Sunday and in January on December 8 open

closed on November 1st

Error
  • JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 42

What To Visit

edicolaThe Temple, piazza Bollente and Civic Tower – piazza della Bollente (map n° 1)

View the map

Between 1870 and 1880, the town council lead by Giuseppe Saracco completely transformed the old area around the thermal spring and the piazza, destroying also the Jewish Ghetto to completely restore the square. The Engineer Ceruti built the Greek style temple that emphasizes the importance of the hot sulphur-bromine-iodine thermal water, which gushes out at an amazing temperature of 74,5° C.

Via Saracco is flanked by the former Law Courts and by the building that used to house the Jewish synagogue built in 1888, sadly destroyed in July 1971. The tower known as “the tower without foundations” dates back to 1763, built following the project by Giuseppe Domenico Trolli.

 


 

duomoCathedral of Santa Maria Assunta– piazza Duomo (map n° 5)

View the map

Construction for the Cathedral began by the Bishop Primo (989-1018) and it was later consecrated in 1067 by Saint Guido, Bishop and Patron Saint of the city. It has a Latin cross plan divided into one nave with four aisles. From the Romanesque period the apses and beautiful crypt are visible.

The interior was completely refurbished with stuccos and frescos between the 16th and 19th centuries, whilst the bell tower was completed in 1479. The 17th century pronao merges in well with the side porticos that line the Cathedral’s square. Noteworthy is the great portal, a masterpiece by Antonio Pilacorte (1481) and inside the pulpit built at the beginning of the 19th century using reused marble slabs and the baptistery in a rococo style. The left transept houses St. Guido’s altar and the altarpiece by the Genoese artist David Corte.


trittico

In the Chapter House theTriptych of Our Lady of Montserrat a masterpiece by the Spanish painter Bartolomeo Bermejo is preserved; this opera was requested by Francesco Della Chiesa a merchant from Acqui T. in 1480 (visiting hours every afternoon from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. A small offer is requested). On the right hand-side of the Cathedral is the Canonical Cloister completed in 1495.

The Cathedral is open everyday from 7.00-11.30 and 15.00-18.00.
Holy Mass weekdays 7.30 and 18.00; Saturdays 18.00; Sundays 8.00, 10.30, 12.00 and 18.00

 

 


castelloPaleologi Castle –Archaeological Museum & Botanic Garden (Via Morelli - map n° 2- 3)

View the map

Its first record dates back to 1056 as the bishop’s residence, until in 1340 the Marquis of Monferrato took it over. Guglielmo VII Paleologo started rebuilding it between 1480 and 1490, and later the Gonzaga family restructured it during the 17th century employing the Architect Scapitta, and finally in 1789 the architect Ferroggio built the prisons. The castle has remained uninhabited since the times of the Marquises of Monferrato. Today it houses the Archaeological Museum that hosts a rich collection of pre-roman, roman and late medieval ruins.


Opening times from 1st March 2014: from Wednesday to Saturday 9.30-13.30 & 15.30-17.30; Sundays 11.00-13.30 & 15.30-17.30. From 1st May until 30th September from Wednesday to Sunday 10.00-13.00 & 16.00-20.00
For further information please call the museum tel. 0144 57555 or Town Hall tel. 0144 770272 / http://www.acquimusei.it/

 


 

addolorataChurch of the Addolorata – piazza Addolorata (map n° 9)

View the map

Built in a Romanesque style with a central nave, two side aisles and an octagonal bell tower leaning against the south apse. It was the abbey church of the former monastery of St. Peter founded by a bishop in the 11th century on the site of a Paleo-Christian cemetery church. At the end of the 14th century it became a Commendam (in canon law, commendam, or in commendam was a form of transferring an ecclesiastical benefice in trust to the custody of a patron., granting a benefice in commendam became most common with monasteries, and the commendatory abbot drew a portion of the revenue of the monastery, but without fulfilling the duties of the abbot or even residing at the monastery.)

In 1720 it was rebuilt dividing its central nave and the church was dedicated to the Vergine Addolorata. Having decayed and fallen into disrepair, after World War I it underwent an immense plan of reconstruction and restoration to bring it back to its original look. Noteworthy inside is the 15th century fresco of Lombard School, two 17th century canvases: Jesus is crowned with thorns and Jesus before Pilate and the wooden statue of the Madonna Addolorata (Lady of Sorrows) dating from about 1720.

Opening times from Monday to Saturday 7.30-11.30; Sunday and bank holidays 8.30-11.30; every afternoon 15.00-18.00.
Holy Mass weekdays 8.30; Sundays 9.30

 


 

francescoChurch of San Francesco / St. Francis (Piazza San Francesco –in front of Town Hall)

View the map

Its façade is in a composite style (1835-1854) and the interior is made up of a nave and two aisles. The bell tower and apse date back to the 15th century.

The Franciscan Friars already present in Acqui Terme from 1224, were given St. John’s Church, a supposed pre-Christian building which underwent a massive transformation after the second half of the 15th century. Joint to the church was a convent whose two cloisters are still standing.
Inside are some remarkable paintings: the Conception of our Lady by Moncalvo, The Adoration of the Magi by Raffael A. Soleri and Our Lady with Baby Jesus between St. Francis and St. Anthony of Padova by Pietro Beccaria.

Opening times 7.45-12.00 and 15.00-18.30.
Holy Mass weekdays 8.30, 17.30; Sundays 8.30, 11.00 & 17.30

 

 


 

antonioChurch of Sant’Antonio / St. Anthony – via Bella

View the map

Built in 1608 by the Barnabites and dedicated to St. Paul, it was joint to the convent and rebuilt in 1701.

In 1812 St. Anthony ‘s brotherhood was transferred here. Noteworthy inside is a beautiful choir and wooden wardrobes in a Piemontese baroque style.

Visits during Mass only on Thursdays at 16.00

 

 

 


 

madonninaChurch of the Madonna della Neve or della Madonnina – via Madonnina

View the map

Construction began in 1727 and completed in 1766. It has an neo-classic façade and a pleasant rococo style interior with 19th century decorations.

Holy Mass weekdays 7.30 and 16.00; Saturdays 16.00; Sundays 10.00 and 16.00

 

 

 

 


 

madonnaltaChurch of the Madonnalta – Viale Savona

View the map

The Church was founded during the 15th century by a group of local poor people. Visits during Mass only.

Holy Mass Sundays 10.00

 

 


 

cristoredentoreChurch of Cristo Redentore – via san Defendente

View the map

Consecrated in 1989 and dedicated to Christ Redeemer.

Holy Mass weekdays 18.00; Saturdays 18.00; Sundays 8.30 and 11.00

 

 


 

pellegrinaMadonna Pellegrina – corso Bagni

View the map

Built in the ’50s and dedicated to the Madonna Pellegrina.

Holy Mass weekdays 8.00; 11.00 and 18.00; Saturdays 18.30; Sundays 8.30, 10.00, 11.30, 18.30

 

 

 

 

 


 

seminarioThe Bishop’s Seminary – piazza Duomo

View the map

The major Seminary was built between 1755 and 1772 following the plan designed by Bernardo Vittone. Noteworthy is the scissors shaped Staircase and neo-Gothic style chapel built at the end of the 19th century. Next to the Cathedral is the minor Seminary once St. Catherine’s Monastery (16th century).

Today it houses the Hotel / Hostel La Meridiana.

 


 

comuneThe City Hall – piazza Levi

View the map

Built at the end of the 17th century by the Lupi of Moirano family, it then became property of the Jewish man Abraam Levi who donated it to the local council in 1910, hoping that it would become their seat, as it is today.

Some rooms have preserved the elegant 18thcentury decorations, as the sala della Giunta which portrays beautiful ornamental panels depicted with Roman scenes.

The tower and façade on Corso Roma date from the beginning of the 20th century.

 


 

robelliniPalazzo Robellini & Regional Enoteca “Terme & Vino” –piazza Levi (map n° 7)

View the map

Built by Giovanni Antonio Robellini at the end of the 16th century, as the imposing colonnade testifies, it was later altered in the 18th century by the Dagna Sabina family who added the big staircase and halls. Today, it houses the councillor's department of Culture, Tourism and the temporary art exhibition room.

The Regional Enoteca is housed in the cellars where it is possible to find all wines from the region, but the Enoteca is dedicated especially to the local wine “Brachetto d’Acqui DOCG”.

It is open on: Tuesdays – Thursdays – Fridays and Saturdays from 9,30-13,00 and 15,30-19,00; Sundays 10,00–13,00 and 16,00–19,00. Closed on Mondays and Wednesdays – tel. 0144 770273.

 


 

ghntHotel & Thermae “Nuove Terme” (map n° 10 e 11)

View the map

Situated in the town’s main square, the spa building and hotel were built in 1870.

The Hotel was completely renovated before the Second World War and again between 2001 - 2002 bringing it back to its old magnificent splendour.

 


 

torrePorta della Bollente then Civic Tower

View the map

The Civic bell tower is known as the “tower without foundations” as it rests on the adjacent houses. It once was one of the main entrances as part of the defensive walls which surrounded and protected the historic centre.

It dates from 1.100 or beginning of the ‘200s. In 1763, it was transformed into a Civic Tower with the enlargement of the old entrance and the construction of the highest part hosting the campanile.

The tower strongly characterizes the piazza

 

 

 


 

anticheAntiche Terme piazzale Carlo Alberto (mappa n° 15)

View the map

The present spa complex dates from the late sixteen hundreds constructed by Giovanni Battista Scapitta. The reconstruction took place after a landslide had destroyed the original building already documented in the 15th century. After the restoration its look has remained almost unchanged (since 2010 it houses the Spa “Lago delle Sorgenti” where the thermal lake of sulphur-bromine-iodine thermal water is located)

 


 

The acqua marcia fountain – Antiche Terme area or Bagni – (map n° 16) –
The neo-classical temple was built in 1847 to highlight the importance of the cold spring of sulphur-bromine-iodine thermal water that gushes out at 19°C

 

Carlo Alberto bridge – Bagni area
Construction began in 1836 but was completed in 1850 upon request of the King Carlo Alberto

 

View the map
 


 

ottolenghiVilla Ottolenghi (strada Monterosso)

View the map

Construction for Villa Ottolenghi began by Counts Ottolenghi - Von Wedekind shortly after the First World War and was partially completed in 1953.

The planners were Federico D’Amato, Marcello Piacentini and Ernesto Rapisardi. The landscape garden was assigned to Giuseppe Vaccario and Pietro Porcinai (in 2011 it was awarded with the prestigious European Garden award).The decoration of the interiors was carried out by Ferruccio Ferrazzi, who also painted the cartoons for the mausoleum mosaics.

For visits and information please call 0144 322177 / It is also possible to visit the Villa and gardens cemetery from May till October during the event of the “City tours”

 


 

prodigo jona “Jona Ottolenghi’ Nursing Home (via Verdi)

View the map

Housed in the 16th century hospital of which three orders of loggias are still visible. Thanks to Count Arturo Ottolenghi and his wife Herta, the building was refurbished in 1934 entrusting the work to the Architect Marcello Piacentini.

The decorations are work of the artists Ferruccio Ferrazzi and Fiore Martelli.

In the garden the famous bronze statue of the “Prodigal Son” may be admired, opera by Arturo Martini ( for visits ring the bell).

 


 

acqui judaica 1Jewish Cemetery
Built in 1836, it also preserves late 18th century tombstones originating from the old cemetery that are located near the entrance. It is an eminent monument representing the centuries-old presence of the local Jewish Culture.

It is possible to visit the cemetery from May till October during the City Tours(see brochure), during the European Jewish Cultural Day, or upon request by contacting the Tourist Office

 

 

 

 

 

 Newsletter

Contact us

Email:
Subject:
Message:

History & What to visit

banner visitare inside

Thermae and Spas

banner spa inside

Accommodation

banner ospitalita inside

Wine & Food

banner prodotti inside

Events & Markets

banner eventi inside

Leisure

banner tempolibero small

Organized by the Region of Piedmont and the Provinces of Cuneo, Alessandria and Asti, Castelli...
Interesting educational tours for schools – organized by the Liguri Statiella...
ROMAN BATHS – corso Bagni (map n° 12) View the map The ruins of a large spa complex dating from...
Professional tour guides for Acqui Terme & surroundings are the experts in...
For the joy of bicycle lovers. Dream Trips tel. 0144 356482 cell. 339 3100723 – 338 9265200...

Photo Tour

showshowshowshowshowshowshowshowshow

Contact us

IAT - Informazione ed Accoglienza Turistica
c/o Comune di Acqui Terme – Piazza Levi,12 Palazzo Robellini – 15011 Acqui Terme AL 15011 Italia - Privacy Policy

+39 0144 322142